Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Locks have been broken!!!

It's almost as if the NHL decided to end the lockout the day before my anniversary so that I could focus tomorow solely on my wife. Thanks guys.. I appreciate that. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, The NHL and NHLPA reached an agreement Today! While it still needs to be ratified by both sides, it's pretty much a certainty that the agreement will be met. So, here's the thing... Rather than speculate on why this wasn't done 6 months or 10 months ago, I'm going to simply concentrate on one thing. We will have the NHL again this next season. I'm very excited because the whole landscape is going to change. Following on the lead of the NBA, the buy-out option will be there for clubs which means that some stars with big contracts and not-as-big results (Jaromir Jagr) will be bought out. I wonder who of the Stars will remain with the club. For those who do not know, my favorite teams are the Stars, Thrashers, Bruins, and anyone playing Detroit or Edmonton. I'm starting to get excited for the game again and I'm awaiting the announcement of the draft to see who will win the chance to draft Sidney Crosby. Not sure who he is? Well, one Wayne Gretzky has pronounced him as the person who will break his scoring records. I'd bet a lot (if I had a lot that is...) that he ends up in New York. (Can you say weighted draft lottery?)

I'm worried a little bit however, that I will not have as many options to watch hockey as I used to. I used to watch almost every night on ESPN, Channel 27, or Fox Sports SouthWest. I may have to get the Center Ice package just to catch all of the Stars games now. So, I'd like to see an answer to that question.

Back to the Buy-out thing, If Dallas does not keep Modano at any cost, they are foolish. I know that he isn't getting younger, but he has the opportunity to finish his career with the franchise that he started it with (albeit not in the same city), and that is rare these days. I hope he stays. Later, I'll be doing a run-down of most likely candidates for the buy-out. And, does anyone else think that Paul Kariya would look great in a Stars Jersey? I mean, he would be the Left Wing that the Stars have wanted for years.

Well, that's it for now, (It's so great to talk hockey again.)
PJ

No comments: