Thursday, June 09, 2005

Hockey News

So, a couple items of note from the world of hockey. Hockey, you say? Like the sport? Do they still play hockey? Well, they are trying. I'll start with the two sides keep meeting and now, there are reports stating that the NHL and NHLPA have both agreed to a salary cap structure and salaries being tied to revenue. This is a major hurdle in getting these negotiations done. I'm not sure that it means that the next season will still start because there are still free agency concerns, arbitration concerns, and I'm sure that the playeys want to weigh in on all the proposed rule changes. But, more and more, it's looking like a deal will get done, and the NHL will play the 2005-2006 season. I'm really glad because I miss hockey. I know, I'm probably only one of three people in Texas who do, but I think that the game is still great and I know that it can be better in the years to come.

Some concerns I have for the upcoming season:
1. What will be the new rules that the NHL will be playing under? The last official report was that goaltender equipment would be limited, tag-up offsides, and shootouts to settle ties would all be implemented. Honestly, I used to be against the shootout, but the more I think about it, the better it is appealing to me. I've seen a few Dallas Stars games, and I rank the experiences like this: Wins - Best, Losses - Bad, Ties - um.. so.. why did we pay to see this? I hate not seeing a winner. I would rather that they just started eliminating players from each side in a continuous overtime, but shootouts are just as good. If it's good enough for a gold medal at the Olympics, it should be good enough for regular season hockey.
2. What will the league do to get people to come to games? They need to do something. MAny season ticket holders are out and will not come back. Every team will face a revenue shortage as compared to recent years and the fact that there is no major TV deal in place (NBC's doesn't count) is not going to be helpful.
3. Where will I get to watch the games? Local games should be OK because as far as I know Fox Sports and Channel 27 are still handling the Stars. But, ESPN is not currently under contract to show hockey this next season. This stinks because I love the way ESPN shows hockey. They've always done a great job with the presentation and the announcers they use are fantastic as well. I've seen some of the favorite games of my life on ESPN. Wayne Gretzky's 802nd goal... Dallas Stars winning the Stanley Cup... Wayne Gretzky's last game (ok, that was ABC, but it was the same people doing the game). If it does not come back, I will be very sad.

Since that was kinda a bummer, I thought I'd finish up this entry with a good note. It has been announced that Cam Neely, former player for the Vancouver Canucks and Boston Bruins, will be elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame! Cam is one of my favorite players of all time. He played with such energy and fire and was a lot of fun to watch. Unfortunately, his career was ended too early because of injuries. I'm very excited that he is being elected and I wishhim all the best in the future.

No comments: