Friday, July 11, 2008

Gamefly - The Best and Not-So-Best Thing for Gamers

So, I mentioned a while ago, that I both love and hate Gamefly. I got a comment asking me to expand on that and since I have a little time today... here we go.

For those not familiar, Gamefly is essentially an online rental service for games. Kinda like Netflix. They have PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii GameCube, Xbox, and Xbox 360 games and will ship you up to three at a time depending on your membership plan. Originally, they had limited distribution centers (CA and PA), but have recently opened up a new center in Austin, TX (And I think another one in GA?). Can't remember that one.

Here's what I like about Gamefly: The selection is very good. I've been able to play many really good titles when they first came out by timing my returns appropriately. (Ratchet & Clank Future, Lego Indiana Jones, Uncharted, etc...). I'm also able (since I can have two out at a time) to rent a PSP game and a PS3 game at the same time. The price is reasonable ($25/mo for two at a time), and based on normal single rentals, it's much cheaper. The turnaround which used to be a problem is now much better as it only takes a day to get to Austin (plus Fast Return works sometimes - This is a service where the Post Office is supposed to scan it when it gets there so they can send the next one out.) The site is really easy to use and you can even buy the used games at prices that are usually better than Gamestop.

Here's what I don't like: The problem with so many choices... I have a hard time deciding. A good problem to have, but still. Plus, games like Burnout Paradise take up time I should spend with a game I've rented. I recently got Devil May Cry 4, but since the Cagney update for BP came out the next day, I'm not sure when I'll be playing that game again. So, I almost feel like I'm wasting that money. Also, Austin hasn't built up their supply of games yet, so when I get games, they are still coming from CA which takes an extra day.

Verdict: I've tried other rental services and they were no where near as good as Gamefly. I recommend this to anyone who is interested (in fact, if you are interested, please click the link to the right. I'd love to refer you for a credit for me :) ) The selection is good, the supply of games is pretty good. I haven't had to wait too long for a game (although MGS4 might be my first opportunity at this), and the prices are reasonable. Did I mention that every 3 months, they give you $5 towards a used game? and after 6 months, you get 5% off, 10% after 12 months?

No comments: