Friday, July 18, 2008

E3 Impressions - PJ Edition

So, I finished watching the Sony E3 presentation last night (Thanks to the PSN actually providing it this year), and there were a lot of cool things about it. Here are the ones that I found most interesting:
1. Resistance 2 - I really liked the first game, but the levels they showed were awesome. They kept mentioning scale, and it was really evident in the Leviathan battle. Part of that seemed a little weird though. I'll be interested to see how it measures up in the final game.
2. Sony's commitment to the PS2 - They are bringing out 130 titles for the PS2 this year. That seems really high when they aren't providing backward compatibility on the PS3 going forward.
3. LittleBigPlanet - I cannot even describe how excited I am by this game. I really hope they don't let everyone down and delay it again. Should be the best community game since Burnout Paradise.
4. Video Store - I think this is a really great move to bring the PSN in line with other online retail opportunities. I like how you can move it to your PSP. I don't like how when you delete it to free up space, it's gone forever. I guess I'll be burning anything I buy to DVD or backing up on my portable hard drive (I also really need to expand the drive I have in my PS3.
5. PSN titles - I love the idea of Ratchet and Clank continuing on PSN. I'll be buying that for sure.
6. The many developers touting the PS3 (even notable devs from critics of the platform)

Here's what I was a little disappointed by:
1. No Netflix announcement. This rumor has been going on for a long time, and when the 360 announced it on Monday, I thought it was sure that the PS3 would announce it. Wonder if they are waiting to not compete with the new Store, or if was really only a rumor.
2. No Jaw-Dropping announcement. I'm still waiting for the announcement that they are making a peripheral that will turn the PS3 into a Location Free player or something of that nature. The games looked good, the video store is nice, but nothing blew me away.
3. No Killzone 2 love. I know this conference was about Resistance 2, but Killzone still should have had a little presence... even if it was just a teaser of really in-game footage.

Games I MUST play from E3: (not just from Sony's conference)
1. LittleBigPlanet
2. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
3. Resistence 2
4. Mirror's Edge
5. Prince of Persia
6. DC Universe
7. Resistance Retribution
8. Lego Batman
9. Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty
10. Motorstorm 2

Games I'm curious about:
1. Infamous
2. Flower
3. PixelJunk Eden
4. Mortal Kombat vs. DC

No comments: