Friday, November 02, 2007

A Little Embarassing...

So, This is probably a little embarassing, but I need to admit something, and where else to admit this than the world wide web (do people ever really call it that anymore??) So here goes... I'm a much better Guitar Hero player than I am an actual guitarist. There it is. I said it. I've been playing guitar for 15 years, and although I've never had any formal instruction, I think I do pretty well as a rhythm guitarist. Ask me to play lead, and I'll tell you what a good guitarist I am. :>

Anyway, I picked up Guitar Hero II for the PS2 a couple months ago after making fun of the game for months. Not only did I like it, but I became a little addicted to it. (Even though I'm not good enough to play it on Hard or even attempt Expert) It was much cooler to actually be able to play some of the songs that I had liked to listen to. The game turned out to be much more fun that I had thought it would be and recently, I picked up Guitar Hero III. It's a lot of fun, but I don't think I'll be going the additional route by getting Rock Band ($170 is too much for me to play a game).

So, all in all, Guitar Hero II rocks. I enjoyed the track selection for the most part, although there were a lot of songs I just didn't like. No one is ever going to be 100% pleased by a track selection. Highlights include Message In a Bottle, Them Bones, Crazy on You, Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight, and of course Free Bird. I loved that Trogdor got included as a bonus song, but I didn't recognize any of the other bonus songs. I wish I had the opportunity to play with someone else as the game does let you have one person play the guitar while one plays bass. I think that would be fun (but I don't want to buy another controller). All in all I give GH2 a 4 out of 5 stars.

I'm looking forward to finishing GH3 and then getting the original and GH Rocks the 80's. Who knows, maybe I'll go get Rock Band after all.

No comments: