Tuesday, April 25, 2006

This week on iTunes

Before I start, there is just something I need to say. I can't stand the Colorado Avalanche. I can't believe the Stars are down 2-0 in this series. Hopefully they will come together, but they will have to do it on the road. Watching has been frustrating

Seems like I decided to do this at the right time. This week, iTunes is celebrating the free songs they've given away the last two years. They talk about all the ones that went on to be big. It's an impressive list.

This week there are three free selections from which to choose.
The first is Dimension by Wolfmother. If you like Black Sabbath, you'll probably dig this. It sounds good. The music transitions from sounding very familiar to something that sounds like a new twist on the genre, but overall, it is pretty formulaic. The problem for me was that I felt like I was listening to a song that was playing in the background of That 70's show. While the song was well put together, I just didn't enjoy it enough to put it on my iPod so I give it a 2 of 5. (Note: Metal fans will likely enjoy this)

The next track is Zambra by Willie & Lobo. It is the Discovery Download of the week. The talent is evident on this track, and I think this would be right at home as part of a movie soundtrack. The quote from iTunes is (..puts a Middle Eastern spin on their full-bodied, tasteful Latin Jazz and funk). If that sounds confusing, you'[re not alone, but surprisingly, it fits in pretty well. When the track began, I figured I would not be keeping it, but as it went on, I actually enjoyed it and think this would make great background music. It's not something I would jam in the car to, but that's not really the point. All in all, pretty enjoyable. 4 out of 5.

Finally, there is the Preface and Chapter 1 of Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick. The book is about how America began going beyond the simple story of the Pilgrims. This audiobook clip is about an hour and 18 minutes long, so I have not had the chance to listen to it yet and as such, will not be reviewing it. This is more of an FYI.

Last week I mentioned the Clip Show from The Apprentice. It turned out to be great. It went through all the tasks that have gone on so far and showed a lot of un-aired footage as well. If you are a fan of the show, you'll love it. If you're curious about this season, you should check this out. If "Reality TV" doesn't do it for you, then you'll probably stay away. 4 of 5.

Well, that's it for this week.

PJ

No comments: